Monday, September 25, 2017

Parent Handbook?!? Why I Needed One Today

For those of you Mom’s (and Dad’s) out there like me who haven’t been doing this very long don’t you wish there was a handbook? Especially when you have adopted! It’s like so many little things that you just dont realize you are clueless about pop up and give you a quick kick in the rump. Things that are perfectly simple for you but when it is applied to your kid it is like the world went crazy.

Take today for example ... everything started out normal. I woke up at 4am took the dogs outside and fed the cat. Made my hubby his breakfast and lunch and then went upstairs and did a little work on my author stuff and got ready for my real job. 5:30 rolls around and I wake my kiddos up for school. My daughter looks awful super pale and just not well at all. She had some sinus issues yesterday and at 7pm Sunday night I had given her some pseudoephedrine. So naturally I gave her the Day Quil dose for her age and sent her back to bed. I made a doctors apt for her because you know that’s what a responsible parent does when your kid is sick right and off we go at 9:00 to the pediatrician.

My word it just went downhill from there.

Had the ultimate scare of my life when my daughter had her blood pressure reading. 53/26! I thought it was wrong I made them do it again. After her exam the doc didn’t think all was kosher either so she retested the blood pressure, 71/40, still no bueno, so she sent us off to the ER.

LONG story short ... the ER sucked, waiting was FOREVER and a day but the end result is ... for kids on ADHD medication you shoudln’t give them pseudoephedrine products.

DOESNT THIS SEEM LIKE SOMETHING YOU SHOULD TELL PARENTS?!?

This reminds me exactly about the time when Sierra had her first fever with us. I had been giving her Tylenol to help break it but it just wouldn’t go away. So off to the ER in the middle of the night we go. Where the doctor then decides to make me feel like an absolute ass because I didn’t know you were supposed to alternate Tylenol and Ibuprofen. Again SHOULDN’T SOMEONE HAVE TOLD ME!!

I don’t know ... I don’t get it ... there are handbooks out there for all sorts of crap and somewhere there should have been one for new moms whose child isn’t an infant.

Just really annoys me deep down that when something happens and I dont know the solution and I seek help from the would be professionals AKA Doctors, that some of them really make me feel like a bad mom for just not knowing.

At the end of the day all is fine Sierra is good and now I know, OTC meds do not always mean their okay even when you follow the directions on the box.

Maybe there should be a PSA about this. I would totally watch that.

Anyone else ever have these kinds of experiences or are they always just happening to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment